"VIP took the guess work out of everything... Tammy under-promised and over-delivered, and always within the timeline she gave us."
| Home >> Tips for Selling Your Home in Central Indiana
Tips for Selling Your Home in Central Indiana
Tips for Selling Your Home in Central Indiana: Lawn, Front Door, Interior, Windows, Kitchen, Bathroom, Garage, Clean, Trim, Fix, Wash, Mow, Paint, Repair, Remove, Open, Polish, Replace, Tidy Up, Organize
VIP Realty offers a compendium of tips and tricks to prepare your home for sale, and a few ideas for when you show it.
Tip #1: Start with your lawn
- Is the lawn trimmed and edged?
- Are the flower beds clear of leaves, weeds and grass?
- Do the flower beds have adequate flowers, bark or mulching?
- Are all outdoor fixtures in good condition:
- Gas grill
- Outdoor lights
- Basketball hoops, etc.?
- Are there any bare spots in the lawn, big holes, ruts, or weeds that can be repaired?
- Does the lawn have a manicured look?
- If it is winter, be sure and remove the snow and ice from the sidewalks and steps.
Tip #2: Next look at your front door area
- Is the front door clean?
- Does the doorbell work?
- Is the storm door in good condition?
- Is the front step or porch in good condition?
Tip #3: How does the interior look?
- Are the walls clean or do they look like they need a fresh coat of paint?
- Consider removing any wallpaper that is not neutral and limits decorating potential.
- Are there any nail holes in the walls?
- Should the ceiling be textured to cover any flaws?
- Are the switch plates clean?
Tip #4: Are the windows clean?
- Open your drapes and blinds before showings for lots of natural light.
- Make sure your window coverings are clean.
Tip #5: Your kitchen must be clean to get top dollar
- Make sure the interior of the oven, the stove top and the dishwasher are stain free.
- Clear the cabinets of extra items and make sure the interiors and exteriors are clean.
- Countertops should be clean and free of clutter - baking soda is good for removing stains from the countertops.
Tip #6: The bathrooms are very important
- The shower doors, ceramic tile and grouting should be clean and free of soap film.
- The fixtures should be polished and free of water marks.
- The toilet seat should be in good condition. If not, replace it.
- Make sure the exhaust fan is working property.
Tip #7: Make all of your rooms appear large
- Remove excess furniture from a room that appears cramped.
- Pick up newspapers, toys, and other articles prior to showings.
- Make sure the stairway is clear.
Tip #8: Your closets should look roomy
- The closets should be neat and organized.
- Wall surfaces should be clean. Do they need paint?
- The shelving and hardware should be in good repair.
- Closet doors should operate smoothly and quietly.
Tip #9: All around the house
- Check the basement, garage and other areas for excess items.
- Eliminate damp smell in the basement or crawl space. A bag of limestone should help.
- Brighten dark walls with a coat of paint.
- Make sure all of the light bulbs work.
- Window areas should be clean and the windows should operate properly.
- Floor coverings should be clean and look new to get top dollar. If your carpets are old, consider replacing them.
- Steps and handrails should be in good repair.
- If you have a sump pump, the pit should be clean and the pump should be in good condition.
Tip #10: How about the major appliances
- The furnace filter should be clean.
- The exterior of the water heater, furnace and water softener should be clean.
- All kitchen appliances should work properly.
- Does the garage door opener work properly? Is it quiet?
Tip #11. Minor flaws suggest that the property has been neglected to the prospect
- Make sure the screen doors close tightly.
- If you have a storage shed, is it in good repair?
- Is the driveway in good condition?
- How about the gutters and downspouts? Are they in good shape?
- Has the roof reached the end of it's useful life?
- Are hardwood and vinyl floors in good shape.
Summary: Prior to Showing Your Home:
- Get rid of clutter on shelves, counter tops and closets
- Put away excess furniture and items that are showing wear
- Rearrange remaining furniture attractively (your agent can help you decide what's most effective)
- Paint walls that are dirty, peeling or chipped. Remember, a few dollars worth of paint and spackle can bring big returns in the selling price.
- Wash blinds, clean curtains and other window treatments
- Shampoo carpets; polish hardwood, linoleum, or tile floors, as needed
- Fix leaky faucets, toilets and appliances that don’t work
- Remove accumulated junk from your basement and/or garage
Bonus Tip: While Your House is on the Market
- Keep the house clean – vacuum and dust daily, if possible, do laundry before it piles up, put away the children's toys
- Make a list of things to do and places to go while agents show the home to prospective buyers
- Display live plants and/or fresh flowers - the aroma and fresh oxygen create a pleasant,
- Bake cookies or a pie when you expect a lot of traffic - make your home more inviting and cozy
For more information about how VIP Realty can help you sell a home in Central Indiana, call Tammy Bookout at (317) 345 - 8269, or send Tammy an e-mail, or submit the Request for Information form below.